Improving the Quality of Your Life.
By Transforming Stress into Flow!
Editor: Prem Chopra
E-Mail: info@brookoflife.com
Volume 1, Issue 2, February 2, 2002
Copyright @ 2002 by Brook of Life and Prem Chopra
For easier browsing click: http://www.brookoflife.com/Newsletter.htm
Sections: News Currents Ripples Your Views
Thank you for your subscription to Brook of Life News. Your name may have been added to our subscriber list at the request of a friend.
This newsletter is Copyrighted @ 2002 by Brook of Life, Inc. You may distribute this issue FREELY to friends, discussion groups and other sites and lists provided that you use the entire issue, including this notice. They may join the list simply by sending e-mail to infor@brookoflife.com with the word “subscribe” in the subject or body of the message.
We do not rent or sell our list of subscribers. You may un-subscribe at any time using the instructions provided below.
News: What’s happening in The Brook
Based upon the excellent reviews from Retreat attendees, we have reformatted the Brook of Life Retreat Series – Transforming Stress into Flow. The major driver was the request to present the core material over two instead of four Saturdays.
Brook of Life Retreats – Transforming Stress into Flow will be offered in a dual format: Two One-day Retreats and two Twilight Seminars.
The Retreats will cover the same topics as the first two of the earlier series: “Part I: How to Discover What You Really, Really, Really Want” and “Part II: How to Understand and Satisfy Your Desires.” To devote more time to “Matters of the Mind” and “The Flow of Thoughts,” there will be just one meditation and yoga session.
Twilight Seminars will cover the same subjects as the previous third and fourth Retreats, with emphasis on application of the Framework for Purposeful Action. By eliminating Yoga and meals, Twilight Seminars will be completed in three hours. At each Twilight Seminar, we will introduce, through a brief demonstration, a holistic health practice (such as massage therapy, aroma therapy, Ti Chi, meditation, yoga, etcetera). A late supper will be optional. The titles of the Twilight Seminars will remain the same as the Retreats they replace: “7 Secrets for Happiness,” and “10 Actions You Can Take Today to Change Your Life.”
Graduates of Brook of Life Retreats will obtain the greatest benefits from the Twilight Seminars. However, those who have read “The Purpose and Meaning of Life: If I had known…” also will benefit and are invited to attend.
Retreats will continue on the second Saturday of each month from 9:00 am to 4:00 pm at the Ashford House. They will be on a two-month cycle (Parts I and II in successive months), with new cycles starting in March, May, July, September and November. Those who miss either part would not have to wait more than two months for the next part. Fees for the Retreats are unchanged, except for new discounts for couples, students and seniors. Returning graduates are invited come and share and reinforce their thoughts, views and experiences. A voluntary contribution of $30 will be accepted to help defray expenses. Please check the Brook of Life web site at www.brookoflife.com for details or contact us at info@brookoflife.com.
The February 9 Retreat will be special. We will review and cover material on The Brook and Purposeful Action that was not included in the first Retreat (based on the previous format) in addition to material from the new Part II of the Series.
Twilight Seminars will be held on the last Thursday of each month from 6:00 pm to 9:00 pm at the UTC Faculty Club in The Patten House on the corner of Vine and Palmetto Streets near the University.
The first Twilight Seminar: “7 Secrets for Happiness,” will be held on Thursday, February 28 at 6:00 pm. Fees, inclusive of lectures, demonstrations, discussions, Workbook and refreshments are $50 per person. Retreat graduates pay only $35. Couples that are Retreat graduates pay only $25 per person. Students and seniors may attend for $15 each. Others may apply for Brook of Life Scholarships by contacting us at info@brookoflife.com.
Thanks to those who attended the first Retreat and signed up for the next one, and many other friends, Brook of Life Retreats and Seminars are off to a great start.
Currents: Thoughts Underlying the Flow of Our Lives
Recently I saw a bumper sticker with the words:
“The more you know, the less you will need.”
Reflecting upon these words, my mind flowed to a slide from the Workbook for the first Brook of Life Retreat—Slide number 18:
“Do we desire what we want or what we need?”
Thus, one wonders if knowledge reduces needs or pares wants down to basic needs and what one really, really, really desires?
What about satisfaction and fulfillment? Do they extinguish desires?
We welcome your thoughts on this to share with all our readers—please send them to info@brookoflife.com.
We also invite you also to send your thoughts for the “Currents” section of Brook of Life News.
Ripples: Transient thoughts from The Brook
There are no ripples in The Brook at the moment…
Your Views: Thoughts from the Brook of Your Life
In this section of Brookoflifenews we would like to share your views and thoughts with our fellow travelers.
Here are some comments from Brook of Life Retreat attendees:
“I have been thinking about it a lot. What stays in my mind the most is the imagery–the image of the boat, the brook-the flow. It is a powerful image–of life being a flow. It makes obstacles easier to deal with and change easier to understand. Some of the language keeps popping back up for me—‘Turn stress into flow.’ Those expressions give me a way to share the information. Sharing the information reinforces it.”
“I liked most the relaxed theme of the entire experience.”
“The discussion was enlightening and no one was pressured to participate. The topic of the seminar, and intent to assist people find their own way, reduced stress. The time for socializing with others and the food was great!”
“I learned how to channel stress into a healthy flow of life.”
“What I liked most was the variety of teaching and the experience of yoga.”
“I liked the balance of talk, discussion, yoga and breaks.”
“The course material and facility were excellent!”
“I liked the informal format.”
Please share Your Views about the brook of Life Retreats, Twilight Seminars and Retreats via e-mail to info@brookoflife.com. We will not use your name as we share Your Views with our fellow travelers, unless you request it.
Thank you for joining us on this Most Important Journey!
This newsletter is Copyrighted @ 2002 by Brook of Life, Inc. You may distribute this issue FREELY to friends, discussion groups and other sites and lists provided that you use the entire issue, including this notice. They may join the list simply by sending e-mail to infor@brookoflife.com with the word “subscribe” in the subject or body of the message.
We do not rent or sell our list of subscribers. You may un-subscribe at any time using the instructions provided below.
For easier browsing you may prefer to go to: www.brookoflife.com
There you also may read prior issues of Brook of Life News.
Send mail to info@brookoflife.com with questions or comments about this web site.
Copyright © 2001 Brook of Life, Inc.