Volume 1 – Issue 13

Brook of Life News

Improving the Quality of Your Life.
By Transforming Stress into Flow!

Editor: Prem Chopra
E-Mail: info@brookoflife.com
Volume 1, Issue 13, August 13, 2002
Copyright @ 2002 by Brook of Life, Inc.
Instructions to subscribe or unsubscribe are below.

Financial Tips. What do Teachers Make? Knowledge and Action

In this Issue:
Financial Tips: Credit Privacy and Damage Control
Navigation Log: What Teachers Make
Currents: How is Knowledge Related to Action?
Ripples: Are you Driven by Goals?
Your Views: From Our Readers

Please forward
Brook of Life Newsto your friends!
Financial Tip: Credit Privacy
Your Right to Opt-Out:
You may opt-out of pre-approved offers of credit or insurance by calling one toll-free number:
1-888-5-OPTOUT (1-888-567-8688).
Financial Tip: Damage Control
What should you do if you become a victim of identity theft?
Taking quick action can help overcome some of the difficulties caused by identity theft.
Here are the steps to take immediately should you become a victim (from Equifax):
Contact the fraud division of the three credit reporting agencies to let them know you have been
a victim of identity theft.
Equifax: 800-525-6285
Experian: 888-397-3742
Trans Union: 800-680-7289
Request they place a “fraud alert” on your file.
File a report with your local police department and make sure to get a copy.
Contact each credit grantor who has allowed a fraudulent account and tell them you did not open
that account. Have them close these accounts. If you open new accounts, make sure to place
a password on the account.
Call the Identity Theft Toll-Free Hotline at 1-877-IDTHEFT (1-877-438-4338). This is the central point
of contact within the federal government for reporting incidents of identity theft.
Document all these contacts with dates, names and phone numbers for your records.
Additional Resources:
For additional information or resources that can assist with Identity Theft, visit the Privacy Rights
Clearinghouse online at www.privacyrights.org, or the Federal Trade Commission online at www.ftc.gov.
Equifax at www.equifax.com

Thanks to a Brook of Life reader for offering this information.
Navigation Log: What do Teachers Make?

A Brook of Life reader sent this story. Whether you are a teacher or student, a parent or child,
a counselor or one who has been helped, a writer or reader, you will find something of value in this.

We were all sitting around the table discussing life, and the man across from me decided to show
his brains.

“The problem with teachers is,” he began, “what’s a kid going to learn from someone who decided
his best option in life was to become a teacher?”

He reminded the other dinner guests that it’s true what they say about teachers:

“Those who can — do. Those who can’t — teach.”

I bit my tongue instead of his and resisted the temptation to remind the guests that it’s true what
they say about lawyers–because we were eating and, after all, this was polite company.

“I mean, you’re a teacher, Susan,” he persisted. “Be honest. What do you make?”

I wish he hadn’t done that because, you see, I have a policy about honesty and ass-kicking: If you
ask for it, I have to let you have it.

“You want to know what I make?” I asked.

“I make kids work harder than they ever thought they could. I can make a C+ feel like a
Congressional Medal of Honor and an A- feel like a slap in the face. (How dare you waste my time
with anything less than your very best?)

“I can make kids sit through 40 minutes of study hall in absolute silence. No, you may not work in
groups. No, you may not ask a question. Why won’t I let you get a drink of water? Because you’re
not thirsty, you’re bored … that’s why.

“I make parents tremble in fear when I call home: ‘I hope I haven’t called at a bad time, I just wanted
to talk to you about something Billy said today.

“I make parents see their children for who they are and what they can be.

“You want to know what I make?

“I make kids wonder.
I make them question.
I make them criticize.
I make them apologize and mean it.
I make them write.
I make them read, read, read.
I make them spell definitely beautiful, definitely beautiful, and definitely beautiful over and over and
over again, until they will never misspell either one of those words again.
I make them show all their work in math and hide it all on their final drafts in English.
I make them understand that if you have the brains, then follow your heart …

“And, if someone ever tries to judge you by what you make, you pay them no attention.

“You want to know what I make?

“I make a difference.”

“What about you?” Asked a guest, turning towards the embarrassed lawyer.

Pete Cameron would say: “Purposeful action places building lives ahead of building
material assets.”

Currents: How is Knowledge Related to Action?

“You write and speak of knowledge and action–could you explain how they are related?” A young reader
asked.

Knowledge leads to Truth and Beauty, encouraging the pursuit of giving through purposeful actions of duty,
as Pete learns in The Purpose and Meaning of Life, page 64.

Abraham Maslow, the late behavioral scientist said, ‘Knowledge and action are very closely tied together…
I go further, and am convinced that knowledge and action are frequently synonymous, even identical in the
Socratic fashion.’

Where we know fully and completely, suitable action follows and flows automatically, as in the case of the
mother who lunges in front of a bus to save her child. Such choices to act are made from a deep inner
knowledge, faith and commitment (which is love) without conflict and with full spontaneity.
Ripples: Are You Driven by Goals?

“I set goals but am not driven by them,” said the young woman.

“That makes no sense,” said the mature businessman. “Why set goals if you do not pursue them?”

“Goals are just milestones to evaluate the progress of your mission–towards your vision?” She replied.

“So, why are you not driven by your goals?” the man persisted.

“Because, I am driven by a commitment to my mission–which is to achieve my vision. If I were driven by goals,
I would be tempted to manipulate in order to achieve them. This is the root cause of unethical actions we see
today in politics and business.” She replied, with passion.

“You sound so idealistic.” He said with a knowing smile.

“I am practical,” She responded, “This is purposeful action.”

Please send stories you wish to share.
Your name will be used only if you request it.
Your Views: From our Readers

What would you answer when a child asks:
If people from Poland are called Poles, why aren’t people from Holland called Holes?
Why is the person who invests your money called a broker?
Why isn’t the number 11 pronounced onety one?

Some misunderstood medical terms:
Bacteria — Back door to cafeteria.
Benign — What you be after you be eight.
Coma — A punctuation mark.
Dilate — To live longer than your kids.
G. I. Series — World Series of military baseball.
Impotent — Distinguished, well known.
Morbid — A higher offer than I bid.
Pelvis — Second cousin to Elvis.
Tumor — More than one.

Humor reduces stress!

Do you have a story to share? Please send it to info@brookoflife.com .

Thank you for joining us on this Most Important Journey!

Please forward this newsletter to your friends.

You may distribute Brook of Life News freely to friends, groups and other sites provided that you use
the entire issue, including this notice. For your FREE subscription, send an e-mail with the word
“subscribe” to info@brookoflife.com. You may unsubscribe at any time by sending a message to
the same address with the word “unsubscribe.”

Brook of Life — Improving the Quality of Your Life…By Transforming Stress into Flow!
Consider… THE PURPOSE AND MEANING OF YOUR LIFE.

www.brookoflife.com mail to: info@brookoflife.com

Send mail to info@brookoflife.com with questions or comments about this web site.
Copyright © 2001 Brook of Life, Inc.