What is the Brook of Life?
The brook of life is a simple yet powerful metaphor for life. We are spirits on a human journey– navigating the brook of life. Each in our own brook, all leading to the same ocean!
“Time is a sort of river of passing events, and strong is its current; no sooner is a thing brought to sight than it is swept by and another takes its place, and this too will be swept away.” Marcus Aurelius, Philosopher, Emperor of Rome, AD 121 – AD 108.
Imagine that you are a navigator of the brook. Your boat represents your actions. The oars provide your ethical balance of giving and taking and define your core values. The currents in the water, observed through your reflection, represent the currents of desire that motivate you. Finally the other navigators in the brook and all the surroundings remind you that we we are all in it together — our actions affect each other.
In a nutshell, the Brook is a practical philosophy of life based upon the metaphor of flowing water in an open stream:
- Life is the flow of actions, just as the brook is the flow of water.
- Without the flow of water, there is no brook.
- Without the flow of actions, there is no life.
- Mind is the flow of thoughts.
- Without the flow of thoughts, there is no mind.
- Your thoughts dictate your actions, which determine the path of your life, just as the flow of water carves the path of the brook.
- Thus, you are what you think and believe, but most importantly it is what you do that shapes your journey.
The metaphorical Brook reveals the four secrets of the Body (boat for action), the Mind (oars for ethical balance), the Spirit (currents of desires), and the Supreme Creative Force (other navigators and the universe).
In this section of the website you will find the key elements of the Brook of Life and how you can apply these to improve the quality of your life:
- four secrets of the brook
- givers in the brook of life
- takers in the brook of life
- why do takers take? ancient wisdom answers
- 10 life-changing purposeful actions
- happiness from the brook of life
During the course of your journey through this website, try to apply this metaphor to your life. This will enable you to discover hidden or masked aspects of yourself that will reveal your full potential. Self-discovery, or self-realization, is the first step in self-improvement.
How can you improve what you do not understand or realize? If you wish to improve the quality of your life, first you must understand and assess the condition of your life. The Brook helps you do just that — with your body, mind and spirit.
The life of each individual is unique and defies quantification. However, sages over the ages and in recent times have provided beacons for gauging and improving the human journey. The Brook of Life captures some of this wisdom. The Brook offers a way to help you understand the nature and quality of your personal as well as professional life. A truthful life of giving leads to happiness and fulfillment.
Discover the deeper meaning and purpose of your life and how you can improve it by reading how Pete Cameron masters the Four Secrets of the Brook of Life, in If I Had Known.